I, Me, Myself and ISB!!

This blog is about me and my life at ISB--Hence the name I,Me, Myself. Its just a chronicle of events as they unfold during my tenure here. No knowledge sharing, no talk about finance, public policy, economy or industry trends..(However that does'nt mean i dont know about all this stuff:))--This is a "gyan free" blog.Enjoy reading

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Main Kaun Hoon?

ISB has developed a new microsite for use by all new admits. We are required to fill up certain information online. One of the fields in the accommodation request section says "Mother Tongue". The title of this post propped up into my mind immediately on looking at this field.

For some its an easy question. For me very tough , being a third generation of a south Indian family who migrated to north a century ago-------being one who can speak better Hindi than Tamil------and being one who has north Indian accent and a name like Krishnamooti Venkat Raman, I face huge identity crisis when posed with questions like this Since the beginning I ve been blessed with remarks like oh u look more like Punjabi: I would say theory of adaptation , oh your Hindi is so flawless no one would believe that u are a madrasi: he he I am the inspiration behind the santoor ad( Twacha se meri umar kaa pata hi nahi chalta )

But this is making me think about the unnecessary importance that is given to origin, mother tongue, caste, creed and what not in this country. Its never enough to say I am an Indian----from where, what language u speak, whos your father whose your father's father etc are very important. I have not been able to comprehend the reason ! Possibly this is one of the reasons we lack a feeling of oneness at times-----But then i guess all this diversity is what is great about India as well---

Now my next worry is what if I am booked in with a bunch of Tamil speaking guys at ISB------Well parents will be more than happy if I can learn some solid Tamil But who cares-----m just too happy celebrating ISB. Identity crisis will take its own course. For the time being i have decided to put "Tamil" as my mother tongue even though i am the worst Tamil speaker on planet earth :)

6 Comments:

  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger Rhapsoder said…

    Maybe you can teach me Hindi and I can teach you Tam (or whatever I know of it).. :-)

     
  • At 2:29 AM, Blogger Chiranth Channappa said…

    Venkat, the same thing came to my mind as well. But I suspect ISB's going to try to mix and match the accomodation & study group to provide "diversity in linguistics". What say?

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Ram said…

    There are some tams from mumbai in our batch who fall into one the categories described by you. Its great fun to hear them speak tam :-). I am in for some real good bashing in case any of those guys reads this comment.

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Venkat said…

    ha finally some comments on my blog. Yippeeeeeeeee ppl are actually reading this crap :)))))

    Thanks guys

    and yes Chiranth mix and match is what will make us holistic @ ISB as we proceed towards nirvana( read a career we like and pays well too :)

    Thanks Ram for your comments. You are my blogging guru

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Blogger Sukalp Sharma said…

    Relax Venki... It's all very easy. All you need to learn is "Tamil terya da*".. Thats what I learnt in my 4 years@REC Trichy..

    * means I dont know Tamil :-)

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger lost in translation said…

    In all the years since I stayed in Chennai - you are the first to have this interesting combination (origin-north, roots-south).
    It would be interesting to discuss your experiences on this front.

    Regards
    Vithal

     

Post a Comment

<< Home