I, Me, Myself and ISB!!

This blog is about me and my life at ISB--Hence the name I,Me, Myself. Its just a chronicle of events as they unfold during my tenure here. No knowledge sharing, no talk about finance, public policy, economy or industry trends..(However that does'nt mean i dont know about all this stuff:))--This is a "gyan free" blog.Enjoy reading

Friday, August 25, 2006

Aftermath of the Massacre

Last week was kind of bad for most people. Some one million grades were released one after another and I don’t even remember what came out when. All I know is that they all came and will stay on!

What intrigues me is that there is absolute lack of standardization among Profs when it comes to grading. Certain Profs are lenient with the higher grades while some are lenient with lower bands. Then there are some who are far from lenient with either band. The effect of this is that if one screws up even a little bit in the subject with strict grading, you get a lower than expected grade. On the other hand, someone screwing up big time in a subject with lenient grading will still manage to get an average grading. I feel that this is somewhat unfair and has become a game of chance.

There is a certain set of unfortunate students who always end up on the wrong side. After looking at last week’s grades I felt that this calls for some kind of standardization among subjects.

Another factor mentioned in a lot of previous year’s blogs was the CP. Frankly till now I believed that CP marks are no big deal. But now I can see that most of the CPs are being marked arbitrarily. Many people talk utter rubbish in class just to score CP points. These are graded by TAs who I guess score on the basis of the number of times a person opens his/ her mouth even if they talk about Karan Joha’r latest movies or some other crap like that. This is forming a major chunk of the grade in many subjects including upto 40% in one of the term 3 subjects. I wonder what would happen on this count.

All said and done, this place refuses to stop springing surprises! This is the down part of the rollercoaster ride for many. I am waiting for the up part when I would see some sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home